Knowing versus KNOWING

John 4:39, 42
"Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in Him because of the woman's testimony, "He told me everything I ever did."

42 "They said to the woman, "We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Saviour of the world."

I wonder how many people who have grown up in church and in Christian families listening to parents and pastors and others older than them tell about their faith in Jesus, have come to a point of believing - of mental assent in the truth concerning Jesus and the gospel and that has been enough for them? I'm talking about knowing in your head.

I'm thinking there are many. Many who "know" the Bible, "know" the stories of Jesus and have maybe even learned the key verses concerning the gospel and how to share that truth with others, but have never really truly experienced communion or relationship with Jesus Himself.

Reading this story again this morning about the Samaritan woman at the well, I'm noting a distinction here between believing in Jesus because of what someone else experienced and told them about - that is the woman's testimony, contrasted with believing in Jesus because they spent time with Him themselves. You see, they didn't just take her word for it. In the verses in between (vs. 40, 41), it says the Samaritans "urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. And because of His words many more became believers."

There's knowing...and then there's KNOWING. And the difference is time spent with Jesus. Don't settle for just knowing about Him. Don't take someone else's word for it. Spend time with Him yourself.

"Lord help me never to try and get by on what I know about you. I want to spend time in your presence. I want to KNOW you. Thank you that when I pray to You, You hear me and answer me and come to me and speak to me. Help me to listen to hear Your voice and to wait in Your presence." Amen

Comments

Popular Posts