One Good Thing Leads to The Next

Today is Tuesday July 7. Five days from now, I re-enter my life and work as a Senior Associate Pastor at PORTICO Community Church, a busy and fairly large (by Canadian standards) multi-venue and multi-site church in Mississauga Ontario, Canada. I have been on a welcome and much needed sabbatical for the last few months and I have to say that it has been amazing! You can read a bit about my sabbatical experience in a couple of earlier posts on this blog, including a few of the things I've learned through the process HERE.

But, alas, my time is coming to a close. Actually, the sabbatical was finished a few weeks ago and I have since been on vacation time. Suffice it to say, it's all melded together into one long time away from the routine and stresses of work. I talked with someone the other day how that, when I was first going on sabbatical, I wasn't sure how I would do it. I was so used to getting up and going to work every day. But then I joked that now I wasn't sure how I was going to go back, because apparently I like not working more than I thought I would.

Here is the truth. I've realized in the last couple of weeks that I am more than ready to return. Sabbatical has been wonderful, but now it's time for the next season. One good thing always has to end so that the next good thing can begin.

King David had to move off the scene so that his son, Solomon, could build the temple. Jesus' earthly life and ministry had to end so that God's plan of salvation could be fully put in motion and the Holy Spirit be released and the church begun.

One good thing always has to end so that the next good thing can begin. Sabbatical is ending, but I am looking forward in anticipation to the next season of life and ministry after sabbatical. What is ahead will inevitably be the next good thing. That's what I'm believing and looking forward to. Now to enjoy these next five days.




Comments

Popular Posts