Big Plans

Proverbs 19:21
'Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.'

You gotta' love the Proverbs. Succinct and pithy words of wisdom that cut through all the haze and help us be crystal clear about life.

The thought behind his one seems pretty obvious.  Solomon is reminding us who we are...and who God is...plain and simple. He's saying, 'you are you and I am me but God...well, He's God!  Sovereign of the universe. The omnipotent, all powerful, ever present Creator. Jehovah. And understanding the difference will take you a long way in your life. You and I, we have our plans...but God? He has THE plan. And ultimately it will be His plan and purpose that prevails.

So go ahead. Make your plans. Pray about them and ask God for guidance and direction. Set your goals even. And work toward them. Just don't get so married to them that you can't make an adjustment every now and then when the Holy Spirit says 'you know, I was picturing this part a little differently'. Or 'I would probably have done this another way.' Or maybe, 'you're doing a fantastic job but my plan needs you over here for a while.' Because we have many plans and thoughts and ideas in our hearts but ultimately, it will the the Lord's purpose that prevails.

This became a major life verse for me at a very critical point in my ministry when things weren't going like I thought they should...and I was very grateful to be reminded that there was something much bigger in play controlled by someone much more powerful than I. And time has proven that to be the case.

My constant prayer has become this...'Lord, help me to make plans that line up with your purpose and nudge me gently back in line when my plans move me away from where it is that you are leading.'

Comments

susanne said…
even better the second time hearing it, Jeff!

Popular Posts