Prosperity Posers

Johsua 1:8 "Study this book of instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do."

Prosperity. It's something no one would turn down if it came suddenly into your life. It's also something that many clamor and scratch for...even try to 'claim' it as their right from God. Some even go so far as to purchase a lifestyle on credit that they couldn't possibly afford, believing that God will provide the money miraculously when the bills come due. It's all so very selfish and immature but these people would defend it based on many 'phrases' in Scripture that talk about prosperity and success. But I don't think they read carefully enough.

See, when I read this passage in particular, what jumps out at me is not the promise - it's the condition. 'Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it.' Oh, OK! That should be simple, right? NOT!

How many of us can honestly say that we do this? I mean, now that I'm a little older with a little more experience and hopefully some maturity, I'm doing better at this than I ever have. This life journaling process has been very helpful too. But I read in the morning and reflect - mediatate day and night though? I do try - but there are so many other things that distract in the course of a day.

And then there's that whole 'obey everything in it' clause! Oh boy, do I have issues with that! I mean, I do pretty well, but there is always a slip-up or two somewhere along the line. I guess what I'm saying is that for me to just 'expect' prosperity based on my performance would be pretty arrrogant I think.

Actually I think its' pretty arrogant for anyone to just 'expect' or 'demand' it. I have no doubt that many who are prosperous and are blessed by God are humble and grateful and doing their best to serve Him every day. Actually I would hope that is the rule and not the exception.

My issue is with the morons who parade around pretentiously claiming and demanding prosperity as their right! I think that is a spiritual attitude issue in and of itself that needs a major adjustment.

But I can't change them...only me. So I need to continue to read God's word and meditate on it and do my very best everyday to do what's written in it. After that, I can just sit back and gratefully enjoy whatever comes and be thankful for all of God's blessing in my life.

Comments

Popular Posts