Weary in Well Doing

Did you ever have an experience when all of a sudden something totally unrelated seemed to now make sense?  No?  Well - maybe its just me then.  I have been going to the gym pretty regularly now for the last 5 months or so.  You know, doing my best to trim down and tone up and stay relatively healthy so I don't collapse and die.  That would be bad.

When I go to the gym - I get up at 5:30 am in order to be there when the gym opens.  I find that if I don't go then, the rest of my day gets away from me and I never go.  I also have a theory that I go that early because when I'm getting up and getting ready and driving over there, I'm still half asleep and I don't become fully functional until somewhere between the leg press and the squat machine.  This lucid realization that I'm at the gym and not home in my bed, while it is unsettling and alarming, comes too late and so I figure I'm already at the gym and I might as well finish.

I digress...over the last two weeks since I realized that I've basically been tricking myself into working out all these months, for some subconcious reason, I have not been able to drag my butt out of bed at 5:30 am anymore.  I hit the snooze two or three times, then I reset the alarm to wake me in time for work and go back to sleep.  This lack of faithfulness to my gym routine has caused me tremendous amounts of regret and even some guilt.  And finally on Friday, I determined to get there again.

It was during this workout that my 'aha' moment came.  You see - for 5 months I had been doing pretty well.  But for the last two weeks - weariness had set in.  I got tired of doing well and so I took a good long break.  Guess what happens after a good long break?  I'll tell you what happens.  Your 'doing well' muscles aren't doing so well anymore.  On Friday I was huffing and puffing and straining and sweating.  I couldn't believe it.  Everything that seemed so natural and easy just two short weeks ago, now seemed like an impossibility (don't tell anyone, but I didn't get my entire workout in...couldn't do it)!

Galatians 6:9 says "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."  Paul gives us some great advice here.  We need to continue in our 'doing good' routine because it will bring about results as long as we don't get weary and give up.  Think about that.  Keep praying....keep reading God's Word...keep being kind to that neighbour...keep sharing about your walk with God  with that co-worker or friend...keep being generous....keep doing all of these things so that your 'doing good' muscles don't get lax and atrophied.  Routinely 'doing good' keeps us headed in the right direction.  It's tempting sometimes to give up - to take a break - but we need to realize that once we do, that routine is really hard to get back into.  So keep on doing good.  Dont' get weary.  Don't give up.  It will all pay off eventually!

Comments

Popular Posts