Moving Experiences


Since arriving in the country of Turkey, many deeply moving and spiritual experiences have presented themselves. It is difficult to express adequately in words some of the sights I have seen. I have visited the ruins of the great city of Ephesus, climbed the Acropolis at Pergamon, seen the ruins of Thyatira and walked through the Necropolis at Hierapolis. I have heard the Biblical texts read at all of these sights, realized that people like Epaphras, the Apostle Paul, and John the beloved disciple were in many of these very same spots.

Equally as moving though, was finally arriving at Kusadasi today on the shores of the Aegean Sea, and walking from our hotel down the boardwalk only to see the magical circular green sign advertising 'Starbucks' after nearly a week long drought of anything that even remotely resembles coffee. I'm sure I was delirious, but the sound of trumpets and angelic voices seemed to resound in my ears as I broke into a rhythmic jog toward the utopian sight. In my mind I was moving in slow motion as the theme to 'Chariots of Fire' played on the soundtrack inside my head. As I passed through the door, the aroma of fresh brewed 'Starbucks' wafted into my nostrils and a in a moment of tender emotion, a single tear trickled down my cheek. Home at last...well not quite, but as close as one could get without - you know - actually being home.


I ordered my venti house blend (hey - it was all they were brewing and I wasn't in a position to be picky), and sipped slowly at first, fearing that too much at once after such a long dry spell could cause my body to slip into a caffeine induced seizure. Once the initial edge caused by re-introducing caffeine to my system wore off, I savoured every long draw on the opening in the beautiful white round plastic lid - sweet satisfaction!


We are here for two more glorious days...then to Munich for a night and then back home where there are Starbucks a plenty. I think I'm going to make it...

Comments

susanne said…
if i were a better person {i.e. not an addict myself} i would make some form of addictive substance dependency comment...

Popular Posts